Generally, there are two disciplines that use the term “marine”, namely marine technology and marine science. Marine technology is categorized as “engineering” discipline while marine science is categorized as “science” discipline.
Marine science is a branch of “science” which includes the study of physics, chemistry, biology, and geology associated with maritime. On the other hand, marine technology is basically the science of engineering that is used to exploit the ocean as a transport medium as well as the resources for the welfare of mankind. Ocean Engineering program itself is classified as an educational institution that aims to apply the knowledge of marine technology for the benefit of the people in Indonesia.
Some universities in Indonesia have started to develop marine science program that is closely related to the study of ocean environment, especially in the field of fisheries. Universities that are prominent in this field are IPB (Bogor Agricultural University), Diponegoro (Diponegoro University), UNSRI (Sriwijaya University), UNHAS (Hasanuddin University), of Riau (Riau University), and Unpatti (Pattimura University). In the field of marine technology, the naval architectural engineering study program has been held at ITS (Institute of Technology) and UNHAS. Other fields are sporadically applied in the science-related fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, geodesy and geology. Further education is usually acquired through the professional work experience. Based on these facts, special education for the field of ocean engineering is deemed as necessary to be given and it eventually resulted on the establishment of Ocean Engineering program in ITB.
At first, the sub-field of science that was developed in Ocean Engineering are Coastal Engineering and Offshore Engineering. Along with the development needs of professions, sub disciplines now developing into a Marine Engineering Coastal Engineering, Offshore Engineering, Naval Architecture and Marine Resources Management. Based on the curriculum in 2013, the sub-field of science in general includes:
- Coastal Engineering: Covers the competence in the field of coastal protection technology, reclamation and dredging technology, the development of tidal land as the land agriculture and fisheries, port technology, and marine environmental protection technology.
- Offshore Engineering: Covers the competence in the field of engineering technology infrastructure and offshore engineering technology subsea pipelines and cables.
- Naval Architecture Engineering: Covers the competence in the field of transport media technologies that include ships and floating structures.
- Underwater Acoustic Technology: Covers the competence of the utilization of underwater acoustic technology in the field of defense and underwater survey.
- Ocean Energy: Covers the competence of the usage of current, wind, and wave energy as a source of renewable energy, the development of marine energy conversion technologies, and exploration potential of marine energy.
To achieve the competencies above, the Ocean Engineering Program facilitates its students with the scientific field studies that include principles of fluid mechanics and solid, dynamic, hydrostatic, applied probability and statistics, oceanography, water waves, underwater acoustics, and also practical engineering problem solving.